Portrayals of the Characters
As part of the parody, the characters are portrayed in radically different ways than in the comic. These include:
- Nite Owl II- Nite Owl is the team leader. Here is heroic and affective. In the comics, he is a timid and troubled man. In this version, he "loves to party down".
- Rorschach- Here, he is the goofy and "nutty" comic relief. In the comics, he is a violent sociopath. He is said to be animal lover in stark contrast to the comic.
- Silk Spectre II- She is a pop singer similar to Jem and the Holograms. Like in the comics, she hates the Comedian (although for different reasons).
- Comedian- Comedian is shown as a fan of Silk Spectre. As such, he attempts (in vain) to get a kiss from her. In the comics, he is revealed to be her father.
- Bubastis- Unlike the comic (where Bub had a very small role), Bubastis is a member of the team. Bubastis is portrayed as a Scooby Doo-like, cowardly talking animal. Bubastis being in the team may be a reference how some cartoons tended to put the spotlight on otherwise unimportant characters.
- Doctor Manhattan- Jon is able to turn into a car (similar to Turbo Teen). He has also the power to give people cancer (a reference to Ozymandias' attempt to convince people that Jon caused cancer in people near him).
- Ozymandias- He is seen assembling the team after seeing danger on his wall of televisions (similar to X-Men). He seen helping out most notably saving the Comedian from falling to his death (when in the original he caused it).
Watchmen trade paperback